Pages

Monday 10 June 2013

2 weeks post-diagnosis my thoughts.....as a PWP (Person with Parkinson's)

Ok here I am at the end of a lovely sunny Sunday nearly 2 weeks post diagnosis.

Do I feel any different to pre-diagnosis? physically, no not a bit. Does this mean the meds are not working? not necessarily, as I'm on ReQuip (ropinrole) starter pack on a continuum from 0.25 mg rising to 1mg in the 4th week.  Then I need to have a chat with my GP to see what dose level we feel is right for me. I say 'we' as it is stressed in all the literature I've so far read that this is very much an all inclusive team effort to manage 'my' Parkinson's disease. So you can see that I've taken ownership of this bad boy, not vice-versa, and I feel this is the best way to stay positive and in control. 

I have also joined the club of PWP- person with Parkinson's (this is the accepted abbreviation in the forums). I would encourage anyone else be it PWP or family/carer to find them here http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/ as these forums are a lifeline where one can ask the silliest of question to a deeper more worrying problem as the forums are managed by PWP who have lived with this for many years, to people like me, the newbies. All seem to be valued equally and this is a comfort  for newbies like me, as these are folks who are true experts of this condition.

One negative since diagnosis was to be told that's its a shame I'm 'suffering' with Parkinson's. This term has always bugged me, probably me being defensive of my daughter who has Downs Syndrome. In my humble opinion she doesn't suffer with Downs, she is a young lady who happens to have Downs, as I am a man who just happens to have Parkinson's.  I fully appreciate this is just a play on words and may be a generation thing, but what do you think? am I wrong to think this way?

To balance the negative, I'm back in touch with my younger sister. Due to our parents separating when we were very young, we lost the closeness of growing up as we were split up and lost touch for many years. she has her own health issues, but the power of the internet means at least we can keep in touch a bit more.

On a final note, my consultant advised me to contact DVLA and advise them of my diagnosis. Now this really freaked me out and has been the worst post-diagnosis issue. My immediate thought was that of losing my licence and car and being stranded as a carer for my daughter in a rural Cornish village with diminishing public transport.
However in reality this will not happen particularly as I am in the early stages and the condition is not impinging on my ability to drive safely. Yes I will need to notify the DVLA but all that will happen is that I will have a 3 year licence and at the end of each 3 year cycle my GP will need to assess if my condition affects my ability to drive safely.

On a final final note,I want to thank publicly my son James who himself will have gone through an array  of emotions through my diagnosis, and has been so supportive (even when he forgets to answer my texts)! Parkinson's UK do an excellent DVD for close family members affected by this diagnosis and it does seem that this may have put his mind at rest a bit as Parkinson;s is a very slow degenerative condition and affects PWP in different ways. In fact one member of the support forum tells how he has had the condition for 15 years and very few people even realise he has Parkinson's.

I would love to hear any feedback from you, dear readers, my email is tjkernow@hotmail.co.uk and any experiences you have had, or to pick me up on something I have said on here, give me a shout, it will be good to hear from you.

Take care One and All, and look after each other.

Tony.

3 comments:

  1. Tony - check out Ropinerole before going updose - I believe it is now banned in the USA due to side-effects. It is not the starting drug of choice for most PwP. Indeed many do not need drug therapy at all for some years.
    You might also like to check out the arrest of the (not) inevitable decline with PIPmix - a PD tonic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post and explaining the day to day events and how you are coping. I am so pleased you have made contact with your sister. Also thrilled that James has been so supportive.
    I agree with you regarding the use of the term 'suffering'.
    You are an amazing person, however I think all of us carers are, we have a special bond, and it makes us stronger.
    Keep writing Tony, it will help.
    It helps us all to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you are back in touch with your sister Tony. It just proves the old adage that "it's an ill wind..." I hope she is coping with her health issues, and I am sure that being back in touch with each other will have great benefits for both of you.
    Joining the PWP forum will be a great help to you, but let's not forget that YOU will be a great help to them too. Your positive attitude, straight-talking, and great sense of humour and wit will be a real asset to them.
    Take care and keep smiling.... and writing!

    ReplyDelete